Monday, October 29, 2012

The IPA Man

Ok, I'm an IPA man, or a hophead, if you will.  As you can see from my current top 10, about half of that list consists of IPAs, and if I expanded it to a top 20, it would probably end up being more than half.  I seriously considered naming this blog IPA Man!

What is it, really, that I like about IPAs?  Well, the hops and the bitterness, of course.  For some reason, I just find that to be the epitome of beer taste.  For some reason, some people find this taste offensive.  I don't understand why!

Beyond those on my top 10 list, I'm also fond of Bell's Two Hearted Ale, Bear Republic Racer 5, Stone IPA, Green Flash West Coast IPA, Victory HopDevil, Heavy Seas Loose Cannon, Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA, Firestone Walker Union Jack, Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA, Stone Ruination, and Founders Double Trouble, just to name some.

For me, if that bitter hop taste is present and upfront, you can't go wrong with an IPA.  If it's faint, it might still be good, but you wonder what could've been.  If it goes the other direction and just blasts my palate away, perfect.

After IPAs, I'd say stouts are my next favorite type of beer. I could call myself a stout man, but that just doesn't sound right.

No comments:

Post a Comment