Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Brewery Tour Review - Baying Hound Aleworks



Brewery Tour Review
Baying Hound Aleworks
http://bayinghoundales.com/
1108 Taft St  Rockville, MD 20850
(301) 637-9322
     One of the best ways to sample a brew is to go right for the source. Baying Hound Aleworks is a nano-brewery located in Rockville, Maryland. Walking in the front door, you realize they take their dogs seriously. At first I thought the barking was a type of door alarm to let them know we were there, but the warning, "He's friendly, he doesn't bite.", let me know the barks were real. A few sniffs later and the dog was perfectly at ease with us being there. When you go into the brewery there is a tasting bar where you can sit and drink some samples from their custom taps. They converted a barrel into a very nice tap system. The price is $5.00 for three samples and $8.00 for six. The hostess Jayna is very friendly and knowledgeable. My wife and I were given a tour of their brewery by the founder, Paul Rinehart. We were lucky in the fact that they were brewing a test batch as we were taking the tour. They were brewing a SMASH beer (Single Malt and Single Hop). This one happened to be an all rye beer, and I believe he said Cascade hops (I had just finished my 6 beer sampler please forgive me.) It was cool to see a brewery making a batch about the same size as I would make, 6 gallons. The typical batch they make is 35-40 gallons. Currently they have four 50 gallon fermenters and two 30 gallon(I believe) fermenters. Their beer is available locally at selected stores. Although the brewery is very small, as to be expected from a nano-brewery, the tour was very informative and Paul had no problem answering questions from anyone on the tour. Anyone interested in brewing can attend a homebrew class offered on premises. In two weeks they are having a small music festival at the brewery. They are having 13 bands over the entire weekend, impressive if you ask me. The event link is here. If you enjoy brewery tours, I would add this to your agenda.  It might be a little bit of a drive, but I feel it is well worth it. Tell Paul Mike from CSI homebrewers sent you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment